Sunday, October 14, 2007

navratri in sankalp or jersey city?

Obviously sankalp!!! I know most of you think like that. No matter how many people turn up at the Jersey City navratri function? We cannot compare it to Snakalp. Ask someone like me, who is a beginner when it comes to garba. For me I am better of at Jersey City. Last night I went for playing or dancing orrrrrrrrrr-doing garba.
It all started at around 9 pm when people start coming in tired after their jobs and a busy Friday. Most of them were students. Most of them were happy coz they were going to play garba after a year or their assignments were completed. Frankly I don’t know which one is true. What started as a short round in no time it was a group of hundreds of desis dancing coordinately. I say this, because in NJ you are not allowed to form your own group and dance with your friends only. It’s a whole big round and almost everyone has to do the same step. Funny but true. In that sense it was good for me, so at least I can join everyone. Unlike kora Kendra in boriwali there looking at people dance was the only thing I was good at. In my previous post when I said that incredible India function was the most number of desis I had seen at one place. Well I was proven wrong last night. I was not sure all of them were Indian but at least from Indian origin. Except for the security people who were like bunch of wannabe mike Tyson. While playing garba I saw so many familiar faces. Like I had seen them if not met them in person. Same concept of friend’s cousin’s brother’s neighbor’s niece. Or maybe all gujus look alike LOL!! Just a joke. Anyways it was so much of fun, at least for me because at the end of the day few people came to me and said they actually do follow me when it comes to garba steps. (Jeez those people must be really bad at garba). Before the dandiya break we had aarti and couple of speeches from the mayor and senator (he came in sleazy half pants and blue jacket) from New Jersey. I couldn’t stop laughing at the narrator’s accent when he was introducing them. Something like Iris pents and return back to Mumbai fare. What he actually meant was Irish pants and round trip to Mumbai. Then during the aarti something happened which I did not agree on. The senator was given the aarti thali for prayer. Although I am very thankful to him for giving permission for the navratri celebration but an aarti thali in the hands of a person whose lunch and dinner menu was veal chops and roast beef. I don’t I just didn’t feel right. Is this the beginning of Americanization of navratri? I don’t just didn’t feel that was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment